Board Meeting Highlights - June 2015
Below are highlights from the District 39 Board of Education meeting on June 22, 2015.
Board Committee Reports
Discussed future construction costs with respect to kindergarten enrichment space and learning commons. Reviewed the ongoing projects for this summer. Also discussed D39 facility rental policy. Next meeting is August 27th at 8:00 am.
Outstanding debt was reviewed. Consultant advised there are no options at this time to achieve a lower rate. Establishment of a capital projects fund was discussed. Ways to improve communication on student fees were reviewed, including adding information to the D39 dashboard. Next meeting is Monday August 24th at 5:30 pm.
Kimberly Alcantara reported –Various proposed house bills and amendments would eliminate the authority of local school boards to increase property tax aligned with inflationary costs. Voter approval would be required for a local governing body to earn additional taxing authority. HB 691 supporting a property tax freeze beginning with the 2016 levy year remains on the floor and could be considered for future action. Other proposed legislation would require ISBE to pilot e-learning days in three school districts.
Announcements from the Superintendent
- More than 180 staff members attended the annual Reflections event to honor retirees and staff longevity.
- The Summer Enrichment Program got off to a great start with over 550 students enrolled in classes at McKenzie and Wilmette Junior High.
- Last month, several community members presented recommendations to expand the District’s environmental sustainability approach. The administration is in the process of reviewing these recommendations, which include a combination of instructional efforts and coordination of sustainable practices for our buildings and grounds.
- Romy DeCristofaro will be the District’s new Assistant Special Education Director. Romy joined D39 in 2007 as a Learning Behavior Specialist at Central and Wilmette Junior High. Two years ago, she became a Special Education Coordinator for the District. Romy is also working on her Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- The July Board of Education meeting is cancelled with all business being handled at the June Meeting.
- Mr. Denenberg – Technology Integration Planning Committee –A draft of a District technology vision and guiding principles was presented and next steps were outlined.
- Dr. Thrasher and other administrators/staff – 2014-15 CONNECTED Strategic Plan – Year-end summary of progress made and goals met was presented.
- Ms. Buscemi – Student Transportation – Registration for student transportation for 2015-16 has gone very well with new late fees and deadlines successfully encouraging parents to sign up earlier.
- Dr. Clauson and Dr. Glowacki – Student Growth – Student Learning Outcomes – The District is on track for implementation of student growth into teacher evaluation by fall 2016.
- Mrs. Goldin – District 39 Logo and Mission Statement – The District will launch a new logo and tagline in October and a revised mission statement is in development.
The Consent Agenda was approved including the following:
- Personnel Report dated June 22, 2015
- Illinois Prevailing Wages
- July Bill Payments
- Transfer Funds from the Operations & Maintenance Fund to the Capital Projects Fund
- Support Staff Union Letter of Agreement – Video and Edit Stipend
- Wilmette Education Association Letter of Agreement – Auditorium Manager
- Administrators’ 2015-2016 Contractual Salary with Aggregate Increases Indexed to CPI
- Notice to Remedy