Grade 3 Virtual Museum Project
Central Elementary School, Wilmette, IL
Wilmette - circa 1940
postcard :Aero Distribution Company Inc., Chicago
photo by D. Duke, 2001
Still a small town feel after all these years.
Our class really wanted to learn about the words "community" and "neighborhood". We brainstormed many, many ideas. We also discussed our thoughts and opinions about our very own community of Wilmette and the neighborhoods where we live. We also shared the reasons we like our community and neighborhoods. Finally, we came up with some changes we would like to see in our village. Take a look!
- It is people that are living in one place together and they have shared values.
- It is an particular area that is made up of many neighborhoods.
- It is a suburb with public services, government, recreation, and churches.
- It has services such as police, sports, restaurants, and firemen.
- It is groups of neighbors having fun, being safe, learning and going to school.
- It has lots of people and is bigger than a neighborhood.
- It is the area where you live.
- It is people who live near one another.
- It is made up of people who help each other.
- They live close together.
- The streets and houses are close together.
- Some people are friends or family and they know your name.
- It is groups of families and friends that are living closely.
- There are warm and friendly people who recognize you.
- It is an area which to you is comfortable and familiar.
- conservative and concerned
- little diversity
- village government
- good schools
- near a Great Lake
- opportunities for recreation
- artistic and cultural activities
- small village with a beach
- small downtown area
- involved, concerned people
- tremendous learning opportunities
- safe and family-oriented
- good restaurants
- beautiful place
- caring neighbors
- lots of parks
- nice lake
- near Chicago
- lots of trees
- cobblestone streets
- lots of families
- lots of pets
- close to the woods
- very nice and friendly people
- It has a sense of community.
- There are good schools here.
- It is very secure.
- It is a nice place to raise a family.
- There is a feeling of belonging.
- It is close to the lake and to Chicago.
- It is a great place to grow up.
- It has many services.
- There are lots of people.
- There is a feeling of friendliness.
- There are many businesses and jobs.
- We are a part of a bigger community of suburbs.
- There are many parks and beaches.
- Homes have many beautiful gardens.
- Our lakefront park is beautiful.
- more restaurants
- wider variety of cultures and more diversity
- recreational activities in our downtown
- more publicity about what is available in our village
- fewer houses that are torn down
- more public support for our schools
- retain the original architecture of the homes
- improve the crowded traffic on Green Bay Road
- more kids movies at our movie theater
- more boutiques and specialty shops in the downtown area
- a special water area with a fish pond and bridges and pretty trees
| last update: 06/01/01 | send
us email | © Wilmette Public Schools |