Below are highlights* from the June 20, 2011 meeting of the District 39 Board of Education. Click here for the information packet from the meeting where you can find complete content of the reports and information summarized below.
- Dr. Palzet introduced the Highcrest and WJHS track teams and acknowledged their great success in the state tournament.
- Dr. Lechner acknowledged the recent WJHS 8th grade graduation.
- Dr. Lechner recognized Dr. Shinners’ retirement after 16 years in D39.
- Dr. Lechner announced the hiring of Darik Williams as assistant principal at WJHS.
Dr. Lechner introduced this portion of the agenda commenting that the draft budget and financial projections are as predicted during the recent referendum. He added that District 39 made the cuts that were promised and that year over year expenditures were essentially flat.
Dr. LeRoy covered the following information:
- The Fiscal Year 2012 District 39 Tentative Budget was presented, including the timeline for final approval. Dr. LeRoy highlighted the expected increase in revenue as a result of the referendum. The tentative operating budget shows revenues of $61,121,371, expenditures of $54,834,674, and a fund balance of $18,708,777 or 34.1% of annual expenditures. The Board will voted on the tentative budget and will approve the final budget in August.
- Five-Year Financial Projections were reviewed, and they also indicate an increase in revenue as a result of the referendum. One of the long-range assumptions is for salary increases to be equivalent to CPI. In addition, these projections anticipate state and federal money to be flat. Dr. LeRoy addressed the issue of fund balances, in light of the new lower minimum fund balance established by the Board last January.
- The Fiscal Year 2012 WCSEA Tentative Budget was presented. District 39 and Avoca School District 37 are partners in the Wilmette Community Special Education Agreement (WCSEA). District 39 serves as the fiscal agent and the WCSEA is required to follow the same Illinois State budget guidelines as District 39 and all other Illinois school districts.
Other Information Items
- Dr. Shinners presented the new science curriculum. The new curriculum will be phased in over 3 years.
- Dr. Clauson presented an enrollment update.
- Melanie Horowitz presented a CONNECTED update, highlighting the District’s progress in the first year of the strategic plan.
A parent made a public comment about concerns with a teacher.
The Board took the following actions:
- Adoption of Illinois Prevailing Wages
- Adoption of the FY12 District 39 Tentative Budget and Approve a Public Budget Hearing
- Adoption of the FY12 WCSEA Tentative Budget and Approve a Public Budget Hearing
- Approval of the Purchase of K-4 Science Materials
- Approval of Policy 4:10 as a first reading on Board of Education Business and Non-Instructional Operations.
- Approval of Revised 2011-2012 Board of Education Calendar with a change in the regular meeting date to the fourth Monday of each month, and related policy changes.
* These highlights provide a summary of the board meeting and are not formal minutes from the meeting. Once approved, minutes from the meeting will be posted in the Minutes section.