Wilmette Public Schools District 39
District 39 Board Meeting Highlights
June 25, 2012
Below are highlights from the District 39 Board of Education meeting on June 25, 2012.
The materials from this meeting can be found here.
A public hearing was held on the Amended 2012 Budget. Dr. Lechner explained that the District received $7.5 million for future facility projects from the Board-approved debt certificates, and the Illinois State Board of Education requires school districts to amend budgets if expenditures/revenues change by 10% or more than budgeted for any fund.
- The science improvements at WJHS are underway. Dr. Lechner noted the financial support from the PTO/As, thanking the Highcrest PTO for its $10,000 donation. He also recognized the partnership with the Educational Foundation, which has set a goal of raising $110,000 over two years to support this project with related enrichment activities and advanced technology.
- Dr. Lechner shared highlights from the recent WJHS graduation.
- Dr. Lechner noted that there is no news to report on pension reform in Illinois, and the State is postponing a decision, possibly until fall.
- Dr. Lechner introduced the report on Enrollment Projections, noting that the decision was made to break several sections since the last meeting. Other sections are being closely watched. Dr. Clauson provided additional details. The information is based on actual registrations to date. Almost 95% of families have completed registration at this time. Recent changes are in the report.
- Dr. Lechner introduced the CONNECTED Strategic Plan Update. Each June, following the CRC report, we provide an update on progress of the strategic plan. Mrs. Horowitz detailed the year’s accomplishments, highlighting the progress in each of the four goal areas: Learning, Core Subject and Content, Structural Platform, and Measurement.
- Dr. Lechner introduced a Review of the HMS/WJHS Leadership Model. He noted that the goal was to develop a one-campus 5-8 educational experience where students experience a more seamless transition with improved cross campus connections. Dr. Palzet presented the details of how this model is operating and highlighted the results of the recent survey of parents and staff.
- Dr. Lechner introduced the topic of school finance, noting that the Board of Education must adopt a tentative budget at least 30 days prior to a public hearing and the adoption of a final budget. He added that fund balances are exactly where they were projected to be prior to the referendum’s approval. Dr. LeRoy presented the District 39 Fiscal Year 2013 Tentative Budget. She provided details on the tentative budget, highlighting changes from last year.
- Dr. Lechner noted that the District continues to serve as the fiscal agent for the partnership between D39 and Avoca District 37 in the Wilmette Community Special Education Agreement (WCSEA). As a result, D39 is responsible for the budget according to the same guidelines as the D39 budget cycle. Dr. LeRoy presented the WCSEA Fiscal Year 2013 Tentative Budget.
- Approved the Personnel Report dated June 25, 2012.
- Approved the Superintendent’s 2012-2013 Contract Amendment.
- Adopted the Fiscal Year 2012 Amended Annual Budget.
- Adopted the Illinois Prevailing Wages.
- Adopted the Fiscal Year 2013 District 39 Tentative Budget and Approve a Public Budget Hearing.
- Adopted the Fiscal Year 2013 WCSEA Tentative Budget and Approve a Public Budget Hearing.
- Approve Playground Mulch Bid.
- Approve Window Bid.