Wilmette Public Schools District 39
District 39 Board Meeting Highlights
September 26, 2011
Below are highlights from the District 39 Board of Education meeting on September 26, 2011.
The materials from this meeting can be found here.
- Dr. Lechner announced the start of the annual student government program. Students will participate in a mock Board meeting as they wrestle with an important issue. This year, the students will be discussing and making recommendations based on the 2007 Community Review Committee report that addressed facilities for WJHS science labs.
- Mrs. Horowitz presented an update on the new D39 science curriculum. D39 science consultant, Dr. Anne Grall Reichel, made a presentation on the development of the new curriculum and its benefits for students. She highlighted key research findings, new assessments, topics for each grade level, cross-cutting concepts, and integration of core curricular ideas with CONNECTED.
- Lou Mongillo reported on the summer enrichment program. The program continued its excellent collaborative relationship with Avoca. Several new enrichment classes were offered including Racquets Anyone?, Express Yourself, and Lively Letters. Math, Reading and Writing Camps were piloted at Romona to determine if parents wanted classes that would reinforce academic skills; these classes were well attended. The fee structure did not change for the summer of 2011 and the program had a small surplus. There were 14% fewer students enrolled in last summer's program than in the summer of 2010, due in part to fewer students being referred to B.A.S.I.C classes.
- The District is moving into the second year of the CONNECTED strategic plan.
Committed to our Core Subjects
Opening minds to a Global Perspective
Nurturing the Characteristics of Successful Learners
Nourishing a sense of Social Responsibility
Empowering Communication skills
Transforming Technology into a continuous knowledge tool
Evolving our Teaching styles, learning process and environment
Developing students of tomorrow
Based on Dr. Lechner's response to CRC's report last month, Year 2 of the District 39 Strategic Plan CONNECTED was presented for approval by the Board.
- Learning Goal - A new staff development model, Professional Growth Networks or PGNs, will be introduced.
- Core Subject and Content Goal - Curriculum maps will be notated for CONNECTED elements; the Second Step Program and the "8 Guiding Principles Checklist for Social Responsibility Activities" will be implemented; and the new science curriculum will be implemented K-4.
- Structural Platform Goal - Results of the new teacher CONNECTED assessment from this year will be compared to last year's results to determine the impact of new hiring protocols; the adequacy of facilities and technology to support core curriculum will be reviewed; and legal changes for performance evaluation tools for principals (2012-13) and teachers (2016-17) will be developed.
- Measurement Goal - Frequent and timely community communications about CONNECTED initiatives will be provided; and a feedback mechanism will be established to determine parent awareness of CONNECTED initiatives.
- Mrs. Horowitz presented an introduction to the Professional Growth Networks (PGNs) that are an important part of the learning goal in Year 2 of CONNECTED. The aim is the collaborative strengthening of classroom instructional practices and the improvement of student outcomes in core curricular areas. PGNs are designed to provide opportunities for staff to self-select a theme based on needs and interests. Training will be clearly connected to student outcomes. The District has created strands for professional development with the intent that teachers will self-select a strand for long-term pursuit over time. Each staff member will attend an introductory session on October 10.
- The Board approved as First Read Policies 4:90 School Activity Funds and 4:95 Petty Cash; Deletion of Policy 4:85 Paying for Goods and Services (Revolving Cash Funds)
- The Board approved as second and final read Policies 4:46 State and Federal Funds and 4:60 Purchases and Contracts; Deletion of Policies 4:54 Federal Funds, 4:72 Specifications For Goods and Services, 4:75 Quotations and Bids, 4:162 Change Order Authorization
- The Board adopted the CONNECTED Strategic Plan for 2011-12.
- The Board approved the 2011-12 District's Application for Recognition of Schools.
The Board received the August cash flow report and September financials.