English Language Learners
The District offers opportunities for resident English Language
Learners to develop high levels of academic attainment in English and
to meet the same academic content and student academic achievement
standards that all children are expected to attain. The Superintendent
or designee shall develop and maintain a program for English Language
Learners that will:
- Assist all English Language Learners to achieve English proficiency,
facilitate effective communication in English, and encourage their full
participation in school activities and programs as well as promote
participation by the parents/guardians of English Language Learners.
- Appropriately identify students with limited English proficiency.
- Comply with State law regarding the Transitional Bilingual Educational Program and Transitional Program of Instruction.
- Comply with any applicable State and federal requirements for the
receipt of grant money for English Language Learners and programs to
- Determine the appropriate instructional program and environment for English Language Learners.
- Annually assess the English proficiency of English Language Learners
and monitor their progress in order to determine their readiness for a
mainstream classroom environment.
- Include English Language Learners, to the extent required by State
and federal law, in the District’s student assessment program to
measure their achievement in reading/language arts and mathematics.
- Provide information to the parents/guardians of English Language
Learners about: (1) the reasons for their child’s identification, (2)
their child’s level of English proficiency, (3) the method of
instruction to be used, (4) how the program will meet their child’s
needs, (5) specific exit requirements of the program, (6) how the
program will meet their child’s individualized education program, if
applicable, and (7) information on parent/guardian rights.
Parents/guardians will be regularly apprised of their child’s progress
and involvement will be encouraged.
Parents/guardians of English Language Learners will be: (1) given
an opportunity to provide input to the program, and (2) provided
notification regarding their child’s placement in, and information
about, the District’s English Language Learners programs.
Adopted: February 19, 2008